EMT current group photo

EMT current group photo
June 2023 Ecuador Mission Team

June 8 - God Works in Mysterious Ways


Hello folks back home! Mrs. Justice is an absolute saint, and has allowed me, Maddie, to make a blog post that is about something really special to me. She delivered a great devotional tonight, so she's earned the break in blog posts tonight. So, without further ado, I wish to tell you a story. The story of my decision to be on the Ecuador team this year.

Throughout this year, I was quite certain that I would not be going on the trip this year. I had been planning on getting a summer job and working on college trips and essays and summer reading, etc. etc. etc. But in April, a powerful earthquake shook the coast. And a day after that, I found myself praying to God saying, "God, are you calling me to Ecuador? Speak to me, please." And speak He did. I was called by God to join the team this year, and to go back. He made every detail work out to even the tiniest of concerns, and it was as if the entire world had aligned to let me onto this team. I didn't know what He had in store for me, or even why He wanted me of all people to go back. I had been two years; I had done good work for God's name. What could I do in year 3 that I hadn't already done? 

Oh yeah; you can laugh knowingly. God completely surprised me, and I realized I never should have questioned what He had in mind for me. 

As you have previously seen, we have been working on a house for a family from the coast, who lost everything in April's earthquake. Today, we went to pray over and bless the house. We all stood in the product of our hard work, and each one of us prayed aloud in a circle for the house and the family. After the prayer was over, the family was brought into the house, and they were so overwhelmed with happiness that they began to cry. And, of course, when others cry, I cry, and knowing that I contributed to this happiness only made me more emotional. Team member Jared Jones and I both presented gifts- Jared a great many of bags, clothes, and jewelry, and me, a simple soccer ball for the two young boys, Santiago and Alfredo- and when the family looked upon these things, they spoke of an incredible gratitude, not just to Jared or I, but to the whole team for the great deal of help we had given them. I was humbled by it because I did not comprehend the amount of impact this had until I heard the family speak of their immense gratitude. I realized that our team has changed this family's lives. I realized that even the smallest contribution to a situation such as this one is so much more impactful that you may know at first. They embraced us all and spoke so happily of how we have made them so joyful, and so thankful, and how we have helped them beyond words. 

And as I walked out of the house, a final realization hit me like a cement truck- wham! This is what God wanted me to see. What He wanted me to do. He wanted me to see the impact that a simple action can have; a simple voluntary action taken selflessly for others. That action is so indescribably powerful and strong and impactful, and I had forgotten this. God knew I needed to be reminded of it. And I think that the team, all of us, needed to see how a selfless deed can breed potently beautiful things. 

This is the answer I was searching for. This is why I was being called back to this gorgeous country to help such gorgeous people. In April, when I knew I was receiving the call, I had no idea of God's plans. I wasn't clued in on a single idea of what I could possibly do on this trip that warranted a call from God Himself, but now I'm here and I see it. God works in mysterious ways, and today was living and real proof of this. 

Never not listen to God's calls, and never forget the impact of selfless actions. It doesn't have to be something like going to an entirely new country and teaching english for a week, working on a family's new house after earthquake damage, or even going to visit a new place. It could be as simple as offering to take out someone's trash, or calling an old friend to ask how they are doing, or even a prayer for those in need. The impact is still the same- it makes someone's day, week, month, year, or even decade that much better. Works done for others in God's name are the most powerful things to ever be done on this earth. 

Thanks for reading my story, and may God bless you,
Maddie Fry

The adults of the family

Santiago, the older boy (3rd grade)

Maggie Leigh- sponsor to Santiago and Alfredo- poses with the family

The team and the family together, outside the house


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Maddy for sharing your story. It really brings joy to my heart seeing what God is doing in the lives of our young people. Please continue to listen for God to speak to you and answer your prayers. He definitely works in mysterious ways.

    Michele Jonez

    ReplyDelete