EMT current group photo

EMT current group photo
June 2023 Ecuador Mission Team

Home Again

Saturday, June 23

Dear EMT parents,

I wanted to write you a note to let you know some thoughts that have come to my mind as I’ve been telling others about, and reflecting upon the Ecuador trip. I had a rewarding time serving the students, faculty, and administration at the Amor y Esperanza school, and I am so thankful for the incredible amount and quality of planning and leadership provided by Opal Anderson and Jackie Tolford.  Yet, the overwhelming thoughts I have keep going back to our Whitefield students.

I have been working with children ever since I was a child myself (over 30 years now) in a variety of contexts – schools, camps, field trips, VBS, city playgrounds, as a dad, etc.  I know what they are like, and I know how they typically respond in various contexts. Our students responded to the demands of this trip in a way that was different and extraordinary. I cannot say enough how impressed and pleased I am with how our Whitefield students conducted themselves. This was not an easy environment for them – far away from home for a long period of time, a demanding schedule of work and serving, sickness for some of them, functioning in a country speaking a different language, sleeping difficulties due to noise, high altitudes, different foods, long bus rides, etc. etc. etc.  In the midst of it all, they demonstrated extremely positive attitudes, maturity, and servant hearts – not only toward the children of Ecuador, but also toward one another.  For example . . .

·     I don’t remember having to intervene once to handle any kind of    conflict between any of them.
·     I did not see any kind of leaving others out, making fun of others, or anything of that nature
·     I don’t remember having to correct any of them once on an inappropriate comment.
·     They didn’t bother with a bunch of practical jokes/pranks with one another.
·     They seemed to have genuine fun together.
·     They were encouraging to one another.
·     They flexible and didn’t complain when changes in schedules were made.

I could go on and on. I know if I were in your shoes I might be thinking that I was exaggerating or that I wasn’t talking about your child. I am not exaggerating, and I am talking about every single one of them who went on the trip. You have great reason to be proud and thankful for how the Lord is working in your children. I was blessed tremendously by having the opportunity to spend some time with them. 

I have to mention also that I am particularly thankful for the leadership provided by our two college-bound young men – Tommy & Brent. I think a lot of what I described above was fostered by them and how they carried themselves. Whitefield will miss them, but we look forward to seeing them impact the world for Christ. At the same time, I see many others in the group who I anticipate will provide similar leadership in the future.

One of the devotions we had in Ecuador had to do with the parable of the sower and the seeds, and I realized that sometimes I get distracted and don’t notice the fruit that is growing around me. I was blessed to see a lot of fruit on this trip, and I thought you should know about it. Be encouraged, and may the Lord use each of these young men and women in mighty ways for His glory!

Thank you so much for your prayers and support in making this trip such a success.

In Christ,

Kevin Bracher

No comments:

Post a Comment